What’s involved in being a journalist today? We spoke to Sam, an agricultural journalist who has worked for big media brand Fairfax as well as independent publishers.
What you’ll hear:
- 0:11 Sam’s job as an agricultural journalist
- 0:24 How Sam got into this role
- 1:10 What a journalist does day to day
- 1:41 Biggest differences between print journalism and other types of journalism
- 2:42 Choosing your projects or being assigned them depends on your level
- 3:12 How long do you have to produce a story?
- 4:05 Working for a big media company vs. independent companies
- 4:54 Are work experience and internships an expectation?
- 5:53 Journalists need to be versatile and have many skills
- 6:36 Sam’s shift from fashion to agricultural journalism
- 7:10 Working in a city vs. the country
- 8:05 Opportunities in media now with the changing landscape
- 9:04 Sam’s degree (Bachelor of Creative Industries) and what she learned
- 9:59 Getting internships is part of the degree
- 10:41 What Sam wished she knew starting out