Now Reading
Certificate III in Health Services Assistance: study it in Year 11 & 12

We spoke to:

Name: Emika Denzel

Current job: Doing a school-based traineeship working as an Assistant in Nursing (AIN) at local hospital

Studying: Certificate III in Health Services Assistance at TAFE NSW

So how does the school-based traineeship work?

You do the course over two years, while you are in year 11 and 12.

There are two components to it, theory and work placement. You’ll do four hours a week of theory during school terms and then a minimum of 80 hours must be undertaken in a hospital during school holidays. Then the assessments are mostly practical competency assessments. My course has been mostly taught by registered nurses and they might give you a case scenario where you need to deal with a patient as you would in a hospital and you are marked.

See Also

You learn a lot about infection prevention, work place safety, how to interpret and apply medical terminology to patients and how to recognise basic symptoms in people. You can learn how take blood pressure, that kind of thing. You will also learn how to transport clients and carry out nursing assistant duties, you are really there to help the nurses.

I am so glad I’ve had experience in a hospital setting while I was still at school because now I know that it’s exactly what I want to do after. It’s such a great opportunity for practical learners.

I could work straight after school with this qualification, but I am going to enrol in nursing through TAFE NSW next year.

To hear more about the course and BTS watch the full video.

What's Your Reaction?
In Love
Not Sure
Scroll To Top